Re: Why dependency on both default-jre and java<N>-runtime

On 25 August 2017 at 15:32, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> dependent on one *and* the other.  That is, that it should have
>> something like this line:
>>
>>     Depends: default-jre, java6-runtime
>
> No, that’s definitely wrong. The whole idea is that
> ① you don’t need default-jre but can use a different one that
>   also provides java6-runtime
> ② you can’t Depends just on a virtual package with no real
>   alternative (which must be the first, for a while, for buildds)

Ok.  I looked into some packages and see now that they are not
actually dependent on both.  The policy says "and" but it means that
both should be listed on a list of alternative dependencies.  That's
not really clear but I guess that if it said "or" it could mean that
only of those dependencies need to be listed as dependencies.

I rewrote that paragraph of the policy in the hopes to make it clear
and also explain the reasoning for the alternative [1].  Could someone
please review it?

Thank you
Carnë

[1] https://github.com/carandraug/debian-java-policy/commit/bf4eaed67f993c2af7be8fe43f06a4ec7c13ef93