Re: RFS for libimglib2-java and libparsington-java

On 16/08/17 19:47, Markus Koschany wrote:
Am 15.08.2017 um 11:18 schrieb Ghislain Vaillant:

I never had to use build profiles because for me it was always something
related to bootstrapping Debian as a whole. This is actually the first
Java package I have seen where someone makes use of the build profile
syntax in debian/control.

So far I have mostly packaged Python libraries, where building the documentation often requires pulling quite a few extra dependencies, including other -doc packages.

On the other hand, if all Javadoc packages only require default-jdk-doc as b-dep, then the benefits of supporting nodoc would be pretty small.

I still believe what you want is support for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nodoc
similar to DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck. The nodoc option will be supported
by maven-debian-helper soon according to one of Emmanuel's last posts on
this list. I assume this will simply suppress the Javadoc step and you
will end up with an empty doc package which is basically the same as
having no documentation at all.

Indeed, though the extra dependencies for building the docs will be pulled, which kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

Basically, I agree with https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap, in the "Documentation loops" section:

"Building without docs usually affects the build-dependencies, so it is not quite like other DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, and using DEB_BUILD_PROFILES instead now makes more sense."

and apply the same logic to nocheck too. If I don't intend to build with tests enabled, then why pulling the extra dependencies to the build.

Again, for Python, support for nocheck can make sense because the Python packaging metadata already make the separation between build, install and tests requirements. Perhaps it does not make sense for Java?

I don't mind uploading the package as is but wanted to point out that
build profiles is probably not what you really want.

Anyway, if you prefer that I take it out, that's absolutely fine by me.

The package will be team-maintained, so the content of the packaging should be normalized as per the team's habits, I guess.

Please let me know.

Ghis