'debian' version for libclojure-java?

All:

I found that in creating a Java package that depends on Clojure [0]
I had to patch to a specific version [1].

I'm wondering if it would be better to depend on 'clojure'
(or 'libclojure-java') as unversioned?

There *is* a case where Debian developers may want to have
the next (as yet unreleased) version of Clojure (1.9.0-alpha17)
in the archive to begin working with with clojure.spec (among other features).
With some luck we can fix upstream to build/run on OpenJDK 9.

In the former case it seems like we should have the current
package declare a 'debian' version (which it does not now):

  tmarble@cerise 109 :) dpkg -L libclojure-java | grep 'pom$'
  /usr/share/maven-repo/org/clojure/clojure/1.8.0/clojure-1.8.0.pom
  /usr/share/maven-repo/org/clojure/clojure/1.8.x/clojure-1.8.x.pom
  tmarble@cerise 110 :)

ACTION: Is it OK if we add a 'debian' version to this package?

For the latter case should we create a new, versioned package
like 'clojure-snapshot' ('libclojure-snapshot-java') or some such?

I have the impression that our policy around these issues
is not accurately documented and up-to-date? Is that correct
-or- am I missing a secret "new" Debian Java Policy packaging
guide for maven helper??

Debian Java Policy [3] (as linked from [4]) is silent on mvn versioning?
There is some discussion of the 'debian' version on [5].

Can someone remind me why we have both maven-repo-helper [6] and
maven-debian-helper [7]? Is maven-debian-helper going to be our
tool of choice? If so are there plans to, you know, improve
the quality of mh_make?

Please advise,

--Tom

[0] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/shimdandy.git/tree/debian/control#n6
[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/shimdandy.git/tree/debian/maven.rules
[2] https://github.com/clojure/clojure/releases
[3] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
[4] https://wiki.debian.org/Java/#Developers_-_Java_packaging_work_in_Debian
[5] https://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper (last edited 2016-12-29)
[6] https://packages.debian.org/sid/maven-repo-helper
  Last changed Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:04:17 +0200
    http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/m/maven-repo-helper/maven-repo-helper_1.9.2_changelog
  Homepage last updated 2012-04-19
    https://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoSpec
[7] https://packages.debian.org/sid/maven-debian-helper
  Last changed Thu, 27 Jul 2017 20:26:45 +0200
    http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/m/maven-debian-helper/maven-debian-helper_2.2.2_changelog
  Homepage last updated 2015-10-13:
    http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder