Re: openjdk-9-jdk rebuild: Second pass

On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 09:42:23AM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> >  7% are broken because invalid ASCII in the code is now an error;
> >    it appears that it was only a warning on Java 8.
>
> This is now fixed for the packages built with javahelper and jh_build
> (#866845).

I wonder if these can all be fixed by fiddling the version, and whether
doing so would be a good idea. For -source of 1.8(?), the error is a
warning. It's not to do with the version of javac in use, as I
previously claimed. Doing so is probably harder than fixing the locale
everywhere, though.

Changing the -source argument will also allow us to have libraries use _
as an identifier, for now, so that may be an easier fix?

Also, I've been told that, with future Java releaseses, old -source
values will continue to be dropped; so Java 10 will drop -source 1.6,
and Java 11 will drop -source 1.7, etc.

> >  16% are broken due to probably intentional changes in Java 9, e.g.
> >     * modules changing accessiblity of things (~90 packages)

I now believe that the accessibility checks are being turned off by default.
This was one of the conditions of the first JCP vote failing. So it's possible
that many of these will go away with a new (possibly as-yet unreleased) openjdk
build. I have been unable to find a relevant upstream commit, although
there's plenty it could be in, e.g.
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/jdk/rev/f8b19df2115a [two weeks ago]

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2017-May/012673.html
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/minutes/2017-05-22

https://londonjavacommunity.wordpress.com/2017/06/28/our-yes-vote-on-the-2nd-go-around-for-jsr-376-java-platform-module-system/
> Agreement on relaxing Strong encapsulation as a default (means fewer
> apps will break out of the box, but get a warning instead).

Chris.