Re: JDK 10 Early Access b33 and JDK 8u162 Early Access b03 are available on jdk.java.net

On 30.11.2017 15:08, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
If there is no hurry to remove javah I suggest waiting until JDK 12 to
do so, this would increase our chances to include JDK 11 in the next
Debian release.

I don't think that hurry is necessarily a factor here, given that javah would have been deprecated for about 4 years prior to its potential removal in JDK 10. Waiting to remove it until JDK 12 would make that 5 years of deprecation instead of 4.

If developers of an open source project have ignored a javah removal warning message for four years, I assume that they might just as well ignore it for five years, too, ultimately leaving downstream packagers in the same situation.

Instead, what I think would be really useful, if you'd like to make a case for a delay of this particular change, would be to find out the kind of cases where moving projects to use javac -h instead isn't feasible for some reason or other. Those cases would then be good items to discuss on the jdk-dev list.

cheers,
dalibor topic
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment