Re: ca-certificates-java_20170930_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Le 30/09/2017 à 02:35, Debian FTP Masters a écrit :
>
>>      - Stop fiddling around with jvm-*.cfg files. ca-certificates-java
>>        has no business with providing an initial cacerts file. This is
>>        implemented in the openjdk packages. We are not 2008 anymore.
>
> Are you suggesting that we should drop ca-certificates-java and just
> rely on the root certificates from OpenJDK instead? I would welcome this
> simplification, the certificates in OpenJDK are frequently updated
> anyway, and that would improve the consistency with the Oracle JDK.

This change simply dropped the logic where the postinst script tried
to detect a jvm.cfg in /etc/<jvm> and then created one in case it
wasn't there. This is no longer required because OpenJDK was patched
back in 2008 [1] to look for a "jvm.cfg-default" file that we ship
with the package and is in a good and known state. The fact that
ca-certificates-java failed just now is because of the introduction of
aarch32 which does not have a C2 compiler (ie. server) as expected by
the temporary jvm.cfg setup it uses.

This was never a suggestion to actually drop the package.

To give an overview of the issue, this happens during install time
when both openjdk and ca-certificates are being installed because
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/jvm.cfg is a symlink
to /etc/java-8-openjdk/jvm-amd64.cfg (on amd64) which does not exist
until the openjdk package is configured. The patched openjdk looks
instead for the other default jvm.cfg that we ship exactly for this
reason.

$ ls -l /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/jvm.cfg*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  33 Aug 23 15:41
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/jvm.cfg ->
/etc/java-8-openjdk/jvm-amd64.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 278 Aug 23 15:41
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/jvm.cfg-default

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openjdk/openjdk/openjdk6/revision/315

Regards,
Tiago

--
Tiago Stürmer Daitx
Software Engineer

PGP Key: 4096R/F5B213BE (hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com)
Fingerprint = 45D0 FE5A 8109 1E91 866E  8CA4 1931 8D5E F5B2 13BE