PDFsam, Maven and transitive dependencies

I have updated PDFsam and two of its build dependencies to the latest
upstream version and pushed the update to the Git repository. The
package fails now with a seemingly obvious but nevertheless strange
error in the pdfsam-service module:

package org.sejda.sambox.pdmodel does not exist

I have verified that the class exists in libsambox-java and PDFsam also
build-depends on this package. The pom.xml in pdfsam-service declares a
dependency on the sejda-sambox artifact which is in libsejda-java and
the sejda-sambox module depends on org.sejda sambox again. I can't spot
the mistake/difference at the moment but I see another warning when
building PDFsam:

[WARNING] The POM for org.sejda:sejda-sambox:jar:debian is invalid,
transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable debug
logging for more details

and also

[WARNING] The POM for org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-compiler-api:jar:2.x is
invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available, enable
debug logging for more details
[WARNING] The POM for org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-compiler-javac:jar:2.x
is invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available,
enable debug logging for more details

Any ideas what is going on here? By the way what is the best way to pass
the -X (debug) flag to dh_auto_build?

Regards,

Markus