Re: Why dependency on both default-jre and java<N>-runtime

On 23.08.2017 20:11, Carnë Draug wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was going through the pkg-java policy and found this [1]:
>
>     Programs must depend on the needed runtime environment
>     (default-jre or default-jre-headless if need a GUI or not, and
>     java<N>-runtime or java<N>-runtime-headless as provided by
>     alternative Java environments).
>
> However, java<N>-runtime packages are virtual packages provided by
> default-jre so I don't understand why.  Could anyone clarify?

others explained already, here is another reason for the

  default-jre | *-runtime

dependency:  If you have multiple openjdk versions in the archive, during
transition periods and as backports, then this dependency makes sure that you
always get the default dependency.  I have seen a lot of users complaining about
packages pulling in openjdk-9 unintended, which only use *-runtime as a dependency.

Matthias