Re: Why dependency on both default-jre and java<N>-runtime

Hi,

Am 23.08.2017 um 20:11 schrieb Carnë Draug:
> Hi
>
> I was going through the pkg-java policy and found this [1]:
>
>     Programs must depend on the needed runtime environment
>     (default-jre or default-jre-headless if need a GUI or not, and
>     java<N>-runtime or java<N>-runtime-headless as provided by
>     alternative Java environments).
>
> However, java<N>-runtime packages are virtual packages provided by
> default-jre so I don't understand why.  Could anyone clarify?

This policy requirement is to ensure that users can opt to choose the
Oracle JDK instead of OpenJDK. Oracle JDK is one of the "alternative
Java environments". The package "java-package" will produce suitable
debs which also provide java<N>-runtime-{headless}.

Regards,

Markus