Re: Understanding bootstrapping a new language for the JVM

Hi,

Am 22.06.2017 um 08:31 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
[...]
>> How does one cope with such a situation for building a package
>> suitable for Debian? I suppose that this problem was already dealt
>> with at least with clojure and scala.
>>
>> Any help here would be quite enlightening.
>
> A common strategy is to use the upstream binaries to bootstrap the
> initial package, and then switch to use the package to build itself.

I wanted to recommend the same. However recently I was facing a similar
issue when I started to package twelvemonkeys [1]. Is there a more
elegant way if a Maven project consists of multiple modules and those
modules in part depend on each other? For instance the build starts fine
and the common-lang module is compiled but then it fails because this
module can't be resolved which is required for another one.

Can we force Maven (or any other build tool) to use an already built
artifact instead of searching for the equivalent in a local or remote
repository? I think this would simplify bootstrapping or other processes
where a package basically depends on itself.

Regards,

Markus

[1]  https://github.com/haraldk/TwelveMonkeys