Tomcat 8.5 packaging

Hi all,

Before the freeze I'd like to get Tomcat 8.5 in Debian. I initially
expected the include Tomcat 9 in Stretch, but the next Servlet
specification isn't ready yet and Tomcat 9 has been delayed. In the
meantime the Tomcat developers decided to start the new Tomcat 8.5
branch with some features borrowed from Tomcat 9 (most notably, the
HTTP/2 support). The 8.0.x line is expected to be EOLed during the
Stretch lifecycle, so we have to switch or update now.

Unlike the tomcat5.5 package that was in use in etch/lenny I suggest to
reuse the existing tomcat8 package, that will make the transition easier
for the users and we won't have to switch the packages depending on
libtomcat8-java to a new libtomcat8.5-java package. There are some
incompatibilities [1] between Tomcat 8.0.x and 8.5.x that will be
documented in the NEWS file.

What do you think?

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html