Re: Packaging sbt

Hi Frederic,

On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 14:38 +0100, Frederic Bonnard wrote:
> Sorry to ping you on that again.
> Any one having feedback on the validity of that bootstrap process ? Mehdi ? Emmanuel ? :)

Sorry, I didn't try to understand the details of your latest effort, but
just to give you a heads up - I was/have been working on packaging SBT
too.

A couple of months ago or so I started reviving the effort to get SBT
into Debian:

https://osdir.com/ml/general/2016-10/msg31364.html

In a nutshell, Emmanuel packaged Scala 2.10 because it's a dependency
for SBT, and the scala package moved to 2.11.8 in the meantime. Me being
a newbie wrt Debian packaging had a hard time using it in the form he
made it available in (it is not in the official Debian repos, but in a
Java Debian team repo) to continue working on packaging SBT, and due to
me being busy at school and overwhelmed with issues in packaging SBT, I
silently drifted away.

Nevertheless, it'd be great if there was a group of us and if we could
dust this effort off and make more progress.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it hard to contribute in the
current setting - there are just so many things to do to package SBT,
there is so much I don't know about, then what is probably a simple and
quick task for experienced developers takes a whole eternity for me, and
I have a feeling as if most of the time I'm just moving around with a
blindfold over my eyes. This is not to say I don't appreciate what
others have helped with (it was mostly Emmanuel); I do appreciate it!

The way I see it, it would be most effective if we made a clear list of
things to do, splitted it into small tasks, and then a few of us got
together online (e.g., IRC) and worked on this for a couple of hours. Of
course, with someone experienced on board to guide those of us that are
less experienced.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko@dimjasevic.net>