Re: Freeplane and latest jgoodies-forms: strange runtime error

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, tony mancill wrote:

> and reaching out to package maintainers when there was compile-time
> breakage.  And I didn't anticipate the run-time breakage.  Long-term, I

I’d assume runtime breakage would also show at compile time, but
apparently it’s worse than I thought when you checked that.

As for Squirrel-SQL, well, it’s not yet uploaded to Debian proper
(there’s a TODO list for that), so it’s not your fault.

> think it is worth discussing how best to support Java applications in
> main, since it often feels like we're swimming against the stream trying
> to support system-level JARs for everything packaged for Debian.

We are, but this is still the only way forward. And for a language
as “enterprise” as Java™, there’s no excuse; the extremely large
corpus of software written in C, C++, etc. manages that just fine.

> But short-term, I'd like to ask for the team's input on what I needs to
> do to clean up the mess I have made by introducing the new version.  Is
> it sufficient to rebuild all rdeps and then upload after a quick
> run-time test?

As I said, I’d think they would break at compile time, but if that’s
not it, good question. I didn’t look at it in depth yet, but they
may need source patches to work with the newer jgoodies (yes, string
of expletives matches my feelings quite well when dealing with that
piece of… software).

bye,
//mirabilos
--