Re: Scala 2.10

Hi all,

On Sat, 2016-11-12 at 15:22 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
> For Marko's purposes, which IIRC, are to create a non-free package to
> avoid the circular dependency scala has upon itself, packaging all of
> the build dependencies isn't strictly necessary.  However, the source
> package must contain all of the bits required to build the desired
> binary package(s), either as dependencies on other Debian packages or
> (and only for a non-free package) as JAR files included with the
> source package.
>
> As Christian points out, Maven will happily attempt to download
> dependencies.  For a non-free Java package, those Maven Central
> dependencies need to be available on the local file system and all
> references to them updated to use <system> scope and the path where
> they can be found.  (There might be an easier way to accomplish this,
> but this is the one I'm familiar with.)

Thanks to everyone for replying. All your comments make sense.

My observation was mostly in the direction of a package version that was
accepted to Debian and that required pulling Maven dependencies from
online and/or not rellying on those provided by the system (namely, in a
source package for Scala 2.10.5). I'm just trying to revive that package
in the current context (i.e. with the current Debian OS releases) so I
found it surprising to see something like this made it into Debian at
some point.

I'll look at later package versions (i.e., after 2.10.5-1) and try to
see if and when something like this was fixed.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko@dimjasevic.net>