Re: The value of java.library.path

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 07:51:35PM -0600, Marko Dimjašević wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I was curious what is the assumed value of java.library.path in Debian
> and consequently where should Debian packages install JNI libraries.
>
> In particular, I realized that the libz3-jni_4.4.1-0.3_amd64.deb binary
> package (built from the z3 source package) installs its libz3java.so to:
>
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/jni/libz3java.so
>
> However, when I use a Java library that depends on the Z3 JNI, it fails
> with this error:
>
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no libz3java in java.library.path
>

> Then if I manually put a hard copy of libz3java.so to /usr/lib/jni the
> Java library works.
>

> I'd like to fix this error in the z3 source package.

Hi Marko,

That's a great topic to bring up for discussion on this list.  I have
long wondered whether there is a demand/need for multiarch JNI support.
That is, given that these are co-installable:

  openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64
  openjdk-8-jre-headless:i386

wouldn't the java.library.path need to take the architecture into
account?  That would also require all packages providing JNI bindings to
support multiarch.

Cheers,
tony