Re: Default Java version for jar file in Debian

Hello,

I don't think that is possible since you can't build Java 8 code to
target a lower JVM. You probably could if you used only those API's, but
I believe you can't make that kind of assumption for all libraries.

I think this link might be more helpfull:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8-compatibility-guide-2156366.html

Disclaymer: I hope I understood your question right. I'm a developer,
and don't know a lot of internals related to packaging and policies
around Java on Debian.