Re: Packaging a maven project for Debian

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 19/07/2016 à 13:23, Guillaume Lederrey a écrit :
>
>> Thanks for the help! I managed to get a package built for stormpot.
>> The tests and javadoc are not built. My experiments are at
>> https://github.com/gehel/stormpot/tree/debian. I added the debian
>> config files to the original source tree. I'm not sure if that is the
>> way things are usually done, or if a separate repo, just for the
>> debian stuff is better.
>
> There are several possible workflows for building Debian packages,
> cloning the upstream repository and using a branch for the debian files
> is one of them, but within the Java team we standardized on another
> workflow with 3 branches:
> - upstream: contains the upstream code, with one commit per new release
> - master: the main branch with the debian/* files, new releases are
>           merged from the 'upstream' branch
> - pristine-tar: generated by gbp to store the upstream tarball
>
> When I create a new package I usually start just like you did by
> cloning the upstream repository. When the debian/* files are ready and
> the upstream tarball created in the parent directory I run this script:
> http://paste.debian.net/783111/ which creates the right repository
> structure. I then push the repository to alioth.
>
> When you want to update the package to a more recent version, you create
> the new upstream tarball and then run gbp from the master branch:
>
>   gbp import-orig --verbose --merge --pristine-tar <tarball>
>

>> There are probably tons of things that are wrong in this package. I'll
>> be happy to fix them if you point them out.
>
> The package looks good for a first attempt, congratulations :) I suspect
> that you built the package on Jessie, it's preferable to work in sid
> instead to use the latest packaging tools and dependencies.
>
> Here are some improvements you could make:
> - debian/control: set Standards-Version to 3.9.8
> - debian/control: use an https URL for Vcs-Git
> - debian/control: remove libmaven-compiler-plugin-2.5-java (not needed in sid)
> - debian/control: improve the package description
> - debian/rules: use the DH sequencer instead of CDBS
>   (that's now the default with mh_make in sid)
> - remove debian/maven.publishedRules and debian/maven.cleanIgnoreRules
> - debian/patches/simplify-inception-year is probably not needed
>

>> Any idea what I should do next?
>
> The next steps are:
>
> 1. file and ITP for the new package and set the bug number in
>    debian/changelog. Use:
>      reportbug --list-cc debian-java@lists.debian.org --offline wnpp
>
> 2. create the packaging repository on alioth:
>    - create an account on https://alioth.debian.org if you don't have one already

Done (account name: gehel-guest)

>    - join the pkg-java group: https://alioth.debian.org/project/request.php?group_id=30085

Request sent, my alioth paghe indicates that I am now part of the group.

>    - log into alioth with SSH, cd /srv/git.debian.org/git/pkg-java
>      and run ./setup-repository <packagename>

I tried to login, but fail. I uploaded my public SSH key to my alioth
profile. Checking with ssh -vv I can validate that the correct key is
sent, that the username I use is "gehel-guest". I read
https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH but did not really find anything.
Any idea? Should I just contact admin@alioth.debian.org?

Thanks for the help!

--