Re: Tomcat 6 security vulnerabilities in Wheezy

Am 18.02.2016 um 18:10 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 18/02/2016 14:45, Markus Koschany a écrit :
>
>> According to [1] Tomcat 6 in Wheezy is still affected by a couple of
>> security vulnerabilities that were already fixed in Squeeze-LTS and
>> Jessie. Would it be sensible to apply the same changes (backporting the
>> 6.0.41 release to Wheezy too) or are there any reasons why this has not
>> been done before? Has anybody spoken with the Security Team about Tomcat
>> security updates in general? Do they approve of backporting newer
>> upstream releases?
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> I vaguely remember trying to backport the fixes and giving up due to the
> complexity. Also the lack of tests in Tomcat 6 makes this operation
> rather risky. That's why the LTS Team decided to package a more recent
> release in Squeeze.
>
> I don't know if the Security Team would accept a new upstream release
> for Wheezy. Since the LTS Team is probably going to upgrade the package
> when they take over the maintenance in April we could ask the Security
> Team to do this upgrade earlier.

I am in favor of this solution, especially because we haven't heard
anything negative about this approach for Squeeze-LTS. If the Security
Team agrees I am going ahead and backport this release to Wheezy, test
the package and send the debdiff to them.

Markus