Re: maven-repo-helper questions

Hey Felix,

On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 19:59 +0100, Felix Natter wrote:
> (adapted from
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/picard-
> tools.git/tree/debian/rules)
> installs the poms correctly, but not the jars (probably since it
> doesn't
> know where they are ;-)).

This project uses the javahelper to install jars. The jars appear to be
specified in *.jlibs. Lets see if we can get you a more specific build
helper.

> I think I should remove the *.install files (for each binary package)
> because this is taken care of by mh_installjar?

That's one way to do it. See below.

> Source jars are
> generally not installed (probably not needed)?

Correct. Source jars are generally used for debugging and we only need
the runtime jars. Also, the debian control file generally lists where
the source is anyways.

> How about using the poms from maven.org? They look like this:
>   https://github.com/fnatter/insubstantial-
> debian/blob/master/debian/pom-libflamingo.xml

Is this the project that you're trying to package? It looks like it
uses gradle as the build system. Take a look at libspring-java
and libgpars-groovy-java. Both use the gradle helper, but use slightly
different methods of packaging: libspring-java uses mh_installjar,
mh_installpoms while libgpars-groovy-java specifies jars in its *.poms
file. I haven't packaged a gradle project before, but I think I like
the style of libgpars-groovy-java more.

Use

grep-dctrl -FBuild-Depends gradle-debian-helper -sPackage /var/lib/apt/lists/*Sources

if you want to check out other projects that use gradle-debian-helper.

> Can you point me to a package which does this or tell me how to
> install
> multiple jars?

Are you trying to install multiple jars per deb file? If the helper
packages don't do what you want, there are usually hooks that you can
use to manually run maven-repo-helper commands. You can run a variation
of the above command to give you projects that use various the helper
projects.

Cheers,
Andrew