Re: Packaging Java Pathfinder

On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 10:03 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Is the performance that critical for a verification tool? The Hotspot
> JIT is rather good nowadays, are you sure using GCJ will significantly
> improve the performances? This looks a bit like premature optimization
> to me, but feel free to experiment.

Well, Java Pathfinder is a model checker, meaning it explores
all/as-many-as-possible execution paths in a program. Given that the
number of paths can easily grow out of hand, I believe every bit of
speed or memory consumption improvement counts, hence I suggested
compiling JPF to native code under the assumption this helps with the
performance.

I don't have numbers myself, but if and when I learn how to package JPF
both as a gcj-package and as a regular Java program, I can do some
benchmarking.

According to the Debian policy for Java [1], "[p]ackages must not ship
gcj-code without the permission of the Java team
(<debian-java@lists.debian.org>)." What would it take to get the
permission from the team to have JPF packaged as a gcj-package?

I have no experience with packaging Java, but I do have experience with
creating a package with Debhelper for a C++ tool. Any pointers to
examples for gcj-packaging JPF would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Marko

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/x155.html