Re: packaging java applications: questions from a newbie

Hi,

> In fact jh_build is a very simplistic way to build Java packages. It is
> well suited for simple packages but I suggest to use more sophisticated
> tools like maven-debian-helper for Maven projects or javahelper +
> maven-repo-helper for Ant projects.

I tried to follow your suggestions, and to package my dependencies
using java_helper + maven-repo-helper. And I then tried to package my
own library with maven-debian-helper.

It feels like I made some progress,  but I'm unable to package my
library yet, because when I run "mh_make" to generate the "debian"
repository, it ends up failing with

---- beginning of the error ---
    Missing:
    ----------
    1) de.timroes:aXMLRPC:jar:debian

      Then, install it using the command:
          mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=de.timroes
-DartifactId=aXMLRPC -Dversion=debian -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file

      Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy
the file there:
          mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=de.timroes
-DartifactId=aXMLRPC -Dversion=debian -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

      Path to dependency:
          1) fr.turri:dokujclient:jar:3.3.0
          2) de.timroes:aXMLRPC:jar:debian

--- end of the error -----

Here, dokujclient is my library that I'm trying to package; and
aXMLRPC is my dependency that I already packaged and that I installed.

I'm a bit surprised by the error message, because if I have to
manually prepare my workstation in order to package, I think my build
won't be very reproducible. Moreover, I have no clue what
"/path/to/file" should be, and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to run
this command.

Said differently, I don't know if I failed to package my dependency,
or if I fail to run mh_make.

To put it in a nutshell: could you shed some light on the meaning of
this error? What is missing?

(if needed, I pushed the sources I used to package my dependency, at
https://github.com/gturri/aXMLRPC-debian)

Regards,
Guillaume