Using dh for mh_make template as default

On 13.05.2015 10:13, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
[...]
> Uploaded

Thanks a lot.

[...]
>> However I currently struggle to find the
>> correct maven rule, so that group id and artifact get substituted correctly.
>
> I fixed the rule, when the rules contain s/A/B/ the dots in A must be
> escaped with \ (but not in B). This is rather annoying and I prepared a
> fixed earlier this year in maven-repo-helper 1.8.10 (currently in
> experimental).

Thanks. I had almost the same rule but didn't escape the dots.

>> Last but not least
>>
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/jboss-logging.git
>
> Uploaded. I switched back to CDBS because 'debuild clean' doesn't work
> well and leaves many files behind.

Interesting. I have rebuilt the same sources twice in a row with dh and
cleaning worked but I don't mind the switch back to CDBS. Thanks for
letting me know.

I would like to make the following proposal though:

We currently use CDBS as the default build system when someone creates
the initial Debian directory with mh_make. I suggest to switch from CDBS
to DH because I think it makes it easier for newcomers to modify maven
based source packages.

DH is widely used in Debian and people could easily use this knowledge
for Maven based packages too. In general I think focusing on one build
system simplifies the packaging process and you have synergy effects.
One could also drop cdbs from Build-Depends and usually debian/rules is
also very clear with DH. A typical template would look like this one:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

%:
	dh $@ --parallel --buildsystem=maven

get-orig-source:
	uscan --download-current-version --force-download --no-symlink

There is nothing wrong with CDBS per se but in my opinion DH is also
more flexible in regard to overriding certain build steps. All in all it
would reduce the complexity of packaging Java software a little since we
already have to deal with javahelper, maven-repo-helper,
maven-debian-helper, ant, maven and gradle.

Thoughts?

Markus