Re: Getting my feet wet with Java and Debian

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 22:45 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> * Would you be willing to answer some stupid questions and teach me
> the
>   basics so that I can work on theses packages (and, possibly, other
>   dependencies), as long as it helps the packaging of Java for Debian?

Here's something to start you off:

* For maven projects, you can use mh_make to generate a lot of the
boiler plate files that you need as well as a few extras that you might
not need or perhaps didn't know about (depending on project). Most of
the boiler plate build commands are hidden behind common shell/makefiles
scripts so you don't need do much work. This also standardizes the
build.
* Currently you have to package dependencies yourself, so check to see
if there are any dependencies for the project that aren't in debian and
package those first (for maven projects, `mvn dependency:tree` is
useful). Note that custom plugins which augment the build process need
to also be packaged (no magic commands here, you'll have to look at the
effective pom for maven projects to figure this out). Some plugins
aren't packaged and are ignored, i.e. maven-release-plugin, but that's
alright as we never perform a release.
* If you want a simple maven example, take a look at the package that I
composed last year [1]. The commit log on the master branch should give
you a good idea what is required for a small library project. Being my
first java package, it may not be a good example, but should be small
enough to give you an idea what to do.
* Not really java related, but I like to use git-buildpackage. If you're
comfortable with the commands to build debian packages, then great. If
not, git-buildpackage is an excellent tool to run the proper commands so
that you don't have to remember them ;).

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] https://github.com/arcticwaters/weupnp