Re: Correct dependency for package needing Java 6?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Jan Niehusmann wrote:

> Yes, sure - I missed that, because I tried the builds in clean chroots,
> where only one JDK was installed.

Right, of course.

> > > But debian java policy states "Packages must be built with default-jdk".

> Well at least on some of the gcj architectures, the package can be
> compiled if openjdk is installed (and gcj is not). So I'd prefer to not

No. The packages must be built with the default JDK, so if
gcj and OpenJDK are available but gcj is the default¹, the
packages must be built with gcj.

① I don’t think we’ll ever have this if the OpenJDK is at
  all usable on that platform.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> > Yes, that would prevent failing builds, as well. But it will also exclude
> > gcj architectures, as on these, this dependency is not available.
>
> Indeed, but gcj doesn't run Java 6 code, so that's normal.

Another point for that.

Architectures with gcj as default have that for a reason…
and one reason alone… OpenJDK is not really usable there.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH