Re: plans for eclipse luna in debian

Hi Mikołaj,

Le 10/11/2015 23:27, Mikołaj Izdebski a écrit :

> For the past 4 years I've been working on improving and automating
> Java packaging techniques in Fedora/RHEL.  Seeing Debian trying to do
> the same now (esp. recent implementation of Gradle helper and attempt
> to package Tycho) I feel obligated to help you, at least by pointing
> and explaining existing solutions in Fedora, sharing other experience
> or even doing Debian packaging work.

I'd like to sincerely thank you for your help. I haven't been able to
reuse your code for the Gradle helper, but I don't think I would have
been able to do it as easily without reading the XMvn code.

> 4. XMvn.  I would like to suggest trying using XMvn project in Debian.
> It has been designed specifically to automate packaging Java software
> for GNU/Linux distributions.  XMvn strives to be distribution-agnostic
> (all Fedora- and RPM-specific code are in separate project --
> javapackages [7]).  XMvn has full support for Apache Maven, Gradle,
> Eclipse Tycho and Apache Ivy, plus partial support for Aether Ant Tasks
> and SBT (through Ivy).  If there is any interest in seeing XMvn used
> in Debian then I'm willing to package it, maintain it and implement
> any upstream code necessary to support Debian use cases.

It would be really great if we were able to join our forces around a
common set of tools. maven-debian-helper serves us well but I don't feel
married to it.

I haven't figured out yet how to use XMvn in a Debian context, but I
definitely keep an eye on it. The main hurdle I think is how to manage a
mixed environment with /usr/share/maven-repo populated by
maven-debian-helper and the XMvn repository. If the tools can't
interoperate we would have to plan a transition and that would take a
lot of time and effort.

Since I can't undertake that for now I'm just doing small incremental
improvements like gradle-debian-helper. My next goal is the transition
of maven-debian-helper to Maven 3, your trick to override/inject code
into Maven solves an issue we had with the dependency resolution due to
the lack of maven-metadata.xml files in the Debian repository.

So even if we aren't able to share code yet we are at least sharing
ideas and that's very valuable.

Emmanuel Bourg