Re: plans for eclipse luna in debian

Am 09.10.2015 um 18:43 schrieb Luca Vercelli:
> I agree with the question. Is there any plan to package a more recent
> version of Eclipse, i.e. Eclipse 4.4 Luna or Eclipse 4.5 Mars?
> 3.8 is quite an old version, and I don't think it's a good practice to
> use such an obsolete software. This is just my personal opinion, of course.
> I would like to contribute to packaging, if needed.

Yes, we would like to see a newer version of Eclipse too. There is
always need for more packagers. The latest version of Eclipse requires a
lot of work before it can be included. In order to help us you could:

 - Find out where the latest sources of Eclipse 4.5 are located.
 - What build-dependencies are required? Do we have to package new ones
   for Debian? A work plan would be nice.
 - Create an initial Debian package of Eclipse similar to
   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/eclipse

We probably have to start from scratch again (different build-system,
obsolete patches, new patches required, etc.).

As soon as the core package works again we have to find out if further
updates are necessary, so that the whole Eclipse ecosystem stays intact:

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=eclipse

Regards,

Markus