Re: users’ migration timeline towards Java 7^H8

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> > (1) Will openjdk-8 break anything on wheezy?

[ … details … ]
> Other incompatibilities are documented upstream [2] and may affect your
> applications [2].

Thanks, that is good information.

> > (2) Who’s going to upload to wheezy-backports-sloppy?
> > (3) Will backport uploads be made in timely fashion?
>
> I uploaded the initial backport to Jessie and Moritz Muehlenhoff
> volunteered to handle the following updates. AFAIK nobody has stepped
> forward to take care of a Wheezy backport.

OK.

I could ask the backports people for access then handle those
backports (both, actually, at the same time) each time a new
src:openjdk-8 migrates to testing, if desired (on workplace time).

Would that help any?

> > (4) How and when should we switch everything to OpenJDK 8?
>
> We plan to switch unstable to openjdk-8 in September.

Here, I meant, for our applications. That is, for example, when
installing a new prod system, what combination can work for how long?

wheezy+java6 is dead, so:

wheezy+java7 (from oldstable-security)
wheezy+java8 (from backports, once someone does them)
jessie+java7 (natively)
jessie+java8 (from backports)

This question also touches whether src:openjdk-7 still gets
security updates, and in which releases, and for how long.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH