Re: libfontconfig1 missing in openjdk-8-jre-headless

Le 29/07/2015 21:22, Joel Chen a écrit :
> When openjdk-8-jre-headless is used under openjdk-8-jre Docker
> container, using Font in Java application triggers NullPointerException.

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the report. It looks like the IcedTea build used for the
openjdk-7 package links explicitly against the system fontconfig, the
INSTALL file has this mention |1] :

* --enable-system-fontconfig: Build and link against the system
installation of fontconfig instead of trying to dynamically open it at
runtime.

and the default value is "yes".

For the openjdk-8 package we didn't use IcedTea, and the upstream build
still doesn't link against fontconfig. The library is simply detected
and loaded dynamically in jdk/src/solaris/native/sun/awt/fontpath.c [2].
This explains why the -headless package is missing the dependency.

The openjdk-8-jre package is also missing the libfontconfig1 dependency
compared to openjdk-7-jre, but it gets it transitively through the
dependency on libgtk2.0-0.

Now I wonder if we want to add a font dependency on a headless package.
It already depends on libfreetype6, so why not libfontconfig1 too after all.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea7/file/58824316f50a/INSTALL#l120
[2]
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/687fd7c7986d/src/solaris/native/sun/awt/fontpath.c#l595