Re: openjdk-9 available in experimental

Le 10/06/2015 01:17, Matthias Klose a écrit :

> openjdk-9 is now available in experimental.  for now it just builds on amd64 and
> i386.  However I'd like to evaluate if we can skip openjdk-8 for stretch and
> default to openjdk-9 (the road map would still be to default to openjdk-8 first,
> and then to -9).  Is there anybody who wants to volunteer for a test rebuild of
> all java packages with openjdk-9?  Compared to openjdk-8, openjdk-9 provides
> hotspot vm's upstream for more release architectures than openjdk-8 would do.
> However, this is an early build, not near a feature freeze openjdk-9 upstream.

Thank you very much Matthias, this is a great news. I'll prepare the
default-jre/jdk packages to default to openjdk-9 and request a mass rebuild.

Regarding the transition here is a good summary of the issues we'll have
to deal with:

https://www.voxxed.com/blog/2015/05/will-java-9-mess-up-your-code

I suspect the removal of rt.jar and the merged structure of the JRE/JDK
are going to be the most disruptive changes.

Java 9 is scheduled for release on 22 September 2016 [1]. If Stretch is
frozen exactly 2 years after Jessie in November we might be able to
include it in the next release.

The Java 8 transition is near completion [2], we have only 2 FTBFS left
with no patch available yet (eclipse and lucene-solr, I'm working on
scala, and libjtype-java has a patch ready). There is also an
integration issue (#775775) but it can be solved after switching the
default-jre.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/java_9_schedule_is_out
[2]