Re: packaging java applications: questions from a newbie

On 06/06/2015 03:03 PM, Guillaume Turri wrote:
> Hi,

>> In fact jh_build is a very simplistic way to build Java packages. It is
>> well suited for simple packages but I suggest to use more sophisticated
>> tools like maven-debian-helper for Maven projects or javahelper +
>> maven-repo-helper for Ant projects.
>
> I tried to follow your suggestions, and to package my dependencies
> using java_helper + maven-repo-helper. And I then tried to package my
> own library with maven-debian-helper.
>
> It feels like I made some progress,  but I'm unable to package my
> library yet, because when I run "mh_make" to generate the "debian"
> repository, it ends up failing with
>

> ---- beginning of the error ---
>     Missing:
>     ----------
>     1) de.timroes:aXMLRPC:jar:debian
>
>       Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>
>       Then, install it using the command:
>           mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=de.timroes
> -DartifactId=aXMLRPC -Dversion=debian -Dpackaging=jar
> -Dfile=/path/to/file
>
>       Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy
> the file there:
>           mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=de.timroes
> -DartifactId=aXMLRPC -Dversion=debian -Dpackaging=jar
> -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
>
>       Path to dependency:
>           1) fr.turri:dokujclient:jar:3.3.0
>           2) de.timroes:aXMLRPC:jar:debian
>
> --- end of the error -----
>
> Here, dokujclient is my library that I'm trying to package; and
> aXMLRPC is my dependency that I already packaged and that I installed.
>
> I'm a bit surprised by the error message, because if I have to
> manually prepare my workstation in order to package, I think my build
> won't be very reproducible. Moreover, I have no clue what
> "/path/to/file" should be, and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to run
> this command.
>
> Said differently, I don't know if I failed to package my dependency,
> or if I fail to run mh_make.
>
> To put it in a nutshell: could you shed some light on the meaning of
> this error? What is missing?

Hi Guillaume,

I took a look at your aXMLRPC package, and it does appear to be creating
the necessary maven artifacts and installing them into the right places,
so I suspect that mh_make is failing in some yet-to-be-determined manner.

That is, you shouldn't have to manually manipulate your workstation.

Do you have a skeleton package/upstream repo for dokujclient?  I'd be
curious to figure out what mh_make is doing here.

Cheers,
tony