Re: libapache-mod-jk: CVE-2014-8111

Hello Markus,

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:35:04AM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hello security team,
>
> I have prepared two security updates for libapache-mod-jk which is
> affected by CVE-2014-8111 [1] in Jessie and Wheezy. This is Debian bug
> #783233 [2].

Thanks for preparing the update.

> I have already packaged a SVN snapshot for sid/stretch. A new upstream
> release, 1.2.41, has not taken place yet.
>
> I am attaching the debdiffs to this e-mail which are identical except
> that the targeted distributions are different. Therefor I have rebased
> the upstream fix which can be found here: http://svn.apache.org/r1647017
>
> I think the issue warrants a DSA since it is remotely exploitable
> although the severity and impact are probably only moderate for most setups.

Sourcewise the debdiffs looks good to me. But no I'm not really
familar with the source package. Were the changes sucessfully as well
tested in some (production) environment?

To already look ahead: If I see it correctly, wheezy and jessie share
the same original source, so
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSecurity/AdvisoryCreation/SecFull#Stable_and_oldstable_sharing_the_same_upstream_tarball
will aply, so when we then go ahead, the first upload need to be build
with -sa, wait to have it accepted on security-master side, and then
upload the second without including the original source (otherwise
there are problems when pushing the package to ftp-master from
security-master).

> It was discovered that a JkUnmount rule for a subtree of a previous
> JkMount rule could be ignored. This could allow a remote attacker to
> potentially access a private artifact in a tree that would otherwise not
> be accessible to them.

Please add here a introductory description of libapache-mod-jk. E.g.
"An information disclosure flaw was found in mod_jk, the Tomcat
Connector module for Apache. [...]" (or any improvement to this).

Regards,
Salvatore