Re: Getting my feet wet with Java and Debian

On 8 Apr 2015, at 11:45 am, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Having packaged a lot of things on Debian, I would like to start packaging
> some Java-related packages and, from what I see, the Java ecosystem (and
> other JVM related languages, like Clojure and Scala) is considerably
> different from that of C/C++, starting with the tools and the way that they
> manage dependencies.

Hi Rogério.  Welcome!

[…]

> I will probably make a lot of stupid mistakes even starting small (say, with
> commons-graph) and I would appreciate some assistance here.

I’ve only recently joined the team and have made lots of stupid mistakes already so you are in good company in that department.  (-:

There are quite a lot of examples in the packaging repository so hit up some of the more recently updated ones for working examples.  For simple Java libraries it’s often no more complicated than creating a standard d/{control,changelog}, a single-target d/rules file and a couple of lines in d/maven.rules or d/maven.ignoreRules.

> If everything works OK, I plan on participating of DebCamp (and DebConf) and
> I would be willing to be mentored there to get my hands dirty with some of
> this stuff.
>
> My questions then are:
>
> * Is there anybody here that is going to DebCamp this year?
> * Would you be willing to answer some stupid questions and teach me the
>  basics so that I can work on theses packages (and, possibly, other
>  dependencies), as long as it helps the packaging of Java for Debian?

I’m not doing to the DebCamp but have found it quite OK to work over email or via IRC on the debian-java channel.  Feel free to send any questions my way via private email if you like.

Regards,

Tim.