Re: OpenJDK 8 vs Zulu

On 01/18/2015 11:21 PM, Jonathan Yu wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Awhile back, there was a question on the Mechanical Sympathy mailing list
> (if you haven't heard of it before, it's a group for discussing development
> of high-performance programs, mainly focussing on Java).
>
> Gil Tene (CTO and Co-Founder of Azul Systems) provided a critical
> comparison of Azul's build of OpenJDK (Zulu) as compared to the package
> currently in Debian.
>
> Quoting from his post:
>
> To my knowledge, Zulu is currently the only OpenJDK 8 binary build
> available that is actually fully tested. When I say "actually fully
> tested", I mean that someone actually states that the specific binary
> package has passed the full set of OpenJDK TCK tests, and is verified to be
> a compatible and complaint implementation of the Java SE 8 spec. Azul
> certifies this for each Zulu binary package.
>
> So for Java 8 (right now) your choices are OpenJDK (via the Zulu binary
> distros) or Oracle JDK. Both are well tested, compatibility-verified JDK 8
> binaries. And both are available for Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
>
> And no, that thing called "openjdk-8-jdk" that you would unfortunately get
> when you do an apt-get from the experimental or sid debian repos is not a
> good OpenJDK build. It currently appears shows as 8u40, which is something
> that doesn't actually exist yet. OpenJDK 8u40 is schedule to come out in
> March, and anything called "8u40" right now (without clear early access
> indicators) is certainly not a good release of anything.
>

> I wonder if there's anything that can (or should) be done to address Gil's
> criticisms. I love Debian and would always prefer to install things via
> apt-get from the official repositories rather than download/install
> third-party packages, so it would be nice to address these issues.
>
> Here's a link to the full thread:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mechanical-sympathy/jQGahuzJKM4

most of this is ranting, and marketing.

please ask azul to post jtreg test results (and/or compare these for yourself)
and find out that the Debian packages are on par or better than the azul
packages.  Debian doesn't have access to the TCK, and Debian shouldn't go into
any defensive mode to compare to any non-publically available test suite.

  Matthias