Re: gmetric4j dependency on ganglia-monitor

On 18/11/14 11:58, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I noticed that libgmetric4j-java recommends ganglia-monitor, do you
> think it would be possible to downgrade the dependency to suggests
> instead? I'm asking because with a recommended dependency
> libgmetric4j-java installs ganglia, I find it a bit odd to get a deamon
> installed when pulling a simple library.
>
> What do you think?

If you need to compile something that links to this JAR then you do not
need the daemon

However, for just about any case where somebody wants to run the JAR,
they must have a gmond process running on the same host as the JVM

The gmetric4j code actually transmits metrics to a network destination
(multicast or a UDP destination address).  The receiving host expects to
receive a heartbeat from the gmond with the same IP address that
gmetric4j is sending from.