Re: java for jessie

Le 15/07/2014 17:48, Matthias Klose a écrit :

> Providing security updates for released versions is tedious, and not many people
> are working on getting these updates into the oldstable and stable releases.
> oldstable had only one openjdk version, stable unfortunately has two openjdk
> versions which need updates four times a year.  For jessie there should be only
> one openjdk version in the release.

I'd like to help with the openjkd-8 updates in Jessie.

> Looking at the current state, this is openjdk-7, so what needs to be done, if we
> want to only ship openjdk-8?

openjdk-8 build depends on openjdk-7, how would we do if we want to ship
only openjdk-8 in Jessie? We change openjdk-8 to build depend on itself
and keep openjdk-7 in unstable only to bootstrap openjdk-8 on new
architectures?

>  - build openjdk-8 on the architectures that openjdk-7 builds on.
>    I don't think that dropping java support on some architecture
>    for the release will be an option, this affects some more
>    source packages in the archive.
>
>  - have a test rebuild with openjdk-8, preferable using the zero
>    interpreter so we may catch issues on the majority of release
>    architectures.

We've done a rebuild on amd64 with Hotspot in April. I fixed several
issues and filed bugs for the others:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=openjdk-8-transition;users=debian-java@lists.debian.org

We are now down to 36 packages failing to build with openjdk-8, 10 have
a pending fix upstream.

>  - make sure that at least the openjdk jtreg test results look
>    reasonable and we don't see any regressions between 7 and 8.
>    It would be interesting to compare test TCK results for those
>    who have access to this testsuite.

Did you get the TCK for Java 8 yet?

> I would like to avoid having openjdk-8 in unstable until we have answers to
> these questions. It seems to be too easy to upload packages to unstable built
> using openjdk-8.

All maintainers here build packages with openjdk-7 in a clean chroot, I
don't think that's an issue. And if someone uploads a package using the
Java 8 class format Lintian will report it. So the risk to wreak havoc
in the archive by uploading openjdk-8 to unstable is quite low.

Emmanuel Bourg