Re: Debconf Java bof?

On 07/04/2014 10:17 AM, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there likely to be any interest in a javay bof at Debconf?
>
> I see the GSOC project looking at recursive auto-building of
> maven-packaged software, and I think that maven has perhaps made it
> harder to get larger java packages into Debian: there's a whole
> infrastructure of "download dependencies at compile-time" that is rather
> antithetical to a distribution approach of providing java libraries on
> the system (not least since it encourages authors to be a bit slapdash
> about versioning). Certainly, when I started looking at packaging the
> shibboleth IdP for Debian such that you could build it from source, I
> had a mountain of yak-shaving to climb.
>
> I'm happy to draft a programme entry, but don't really want to end up
> talking to myself ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew

Hi Matthew -

Yes, please do submit an entry for a Java Team/Java packaging BoF if
you're willing to do so.  I'll definitely attend (barring some local
team conflict).

In addition to the general "dependency nightmare" (borrowing from
Torsten Werner's talk at DC10), here are a few other topics we might
discuss:

* maven-debian/repo-helper future direction
* any sort of maven packaging how-to
* Java8 transition
* what's left for removing tomcat6; tomcat maintenance in general
* how to attract more contributions and team members
* how/when to remove crufty and neglected team-maintained packages

Thank you,
tony