Re: iText employee and Linux user offering assistance for packaging

On 01/07/14 12:59, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 01/07/2014 11:57, amedee.vangasse@itextpdf.com a écrit :

Feel free to tell me how I can help!
Hi Amedee,

Welcome and thank you for offering your help. I'm cc-ing
debian-java@lists.debian.org since this is where we discuss Java related
topics, the pkg-java-maintainers list is only used for technical
notifications (commits, transitions, etc)
OK. I used pkg-java-maintainers because https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libitext5-java pointed me to https://launchpad.net/~pkg-java-maintainers, which mentions pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org.

If you are interested in maintaining directly and preparing updates of
the libitext5-java package I can explain the process. Currently the
package is almost up to date, we are waiting for the next release to fix
an incompatibility with Java 8.
I did some searching on the Debian website and I found http://packages.qa.debian.org/libi/libitext5-java.html

I see that there are some patches, are there changes that we can do to reduce the need for patches, thereby reducing the workload for Debian packaging?

These seem to be the current versions in Debian/Ubuntu:
stable: 5.0.6
testing: 5.5.0
unstable: 5.5.0
Ubuntu: 5.4.5

iText released 5.5.1 about a month ago on Sourceforge, and you seem to be tracking that. So OK there.

Currently Sourceforge is our primary repository, also used internally. (So if SF goes down, we can't work)
I plan to do a svn2git migration, host the git repo on our own server infrastructure (r/w only for iText employees) and mirror the git repo to Sourceforge (r/o) and to Github (pull requests will be considered). I will give advance notice of this change.

What is this incompatibility with Java 8 you mention? Do you have a bug report?

Currently iText 5.x is compiled for Java 5 (we even had some customers asking for a Java 1.4 version but we didn't do that, let's not get too crazy here). The next major version of iText (lets call it iText 6) will be targeted at Java 7 or maybe even Java 8, the decision is not final yet. There is no public timetable for this upcoming version.
We are also maintaining an older version of iText licensed under the
MPL/LGPL. This version is affected by a bug [1] that has probably been
fixed in iText 5. If ever you could point us to the relevant commit that
fixed it in iText 5 we could backport the fix.
As a company policy, we don't give technical support on the 2.x versions (MPL/LGPL), and any bugfixes won't get backported. This is a policy decision, please don't ask me to comment on this. I hope you'll understand.

Amedee Van Gasse