Packaging Archiva

Hi all!

I’m pretty new to Java debian packaging, (and not so experienced in debian packaging overall).  I’m trying to build a .deb for Apache Archiva[1].

The MavenDebianHelper docs[2] say "So if your project has already all its dependencies packaged for Debian, and with the correct Maven metadata, then it's a piece of cake!”

…uh huh. :p  Here is a WIP list of dependencies that are not already packaged for debian:
https://gist.github.com/ottomata/9006927#file-archiva-dependencies-no-deb-packages

I’m not trying to build an official Debian package here, so I’m ok with not following Debian policies 100%.  However, I am trying to make it possible to build Archiva without needing to download .jars from remote Maven repos.  For those dependency .jars that do not already have .debs, I’m fine with creating a local maven repository and manually committing them to my git fork of archiva-src.  I.e.  I’d create a repository similar to what is suggested in this StackOverflow answer: http://stackoverflow.com/a/7623805/555565

Now, maven-debian-helper will patch Archiva’s .poms as part of the build process.  In order to create a local maven repository with these dependency .jars, I also have to patch the .poms.  I’m not really sure what order to do this in, or even really if this approach will ultimately work.

Is this the right approach?  I’m sure there are many better ways of doing this that I am not aware of.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Andrew Otto
 Systems Engineer
 Wikimedia Foundation