Re: Openjdk-8 in Debian/backports?

On 12/30/2014 08:26 AM, Thomas Zlika wrote:

>> Le 30 déc. 2014 à 15:24, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> a écrit :
>>
>> I plan to backport openjdk-8 to Jessie once the freeze is over. No
>> promise for a backport to Wheezy though.
>
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Great news!
> Up to my knowledge there is no easy way to install openjdk-8 on Debian yet
> (the only simple solution is to install Oracle-jdk-8. I've done it on Wheezy for some tests,
> but I would prefer to use Openjdk), so I think lots of users are expecting your backport! :-)
> I hope the Jessie freeze will be short.

Hi Thomas,

You can always build from source on a jessie system or in a jessie
chroot by adding a deb-src URL for sid to your /etc/apt/sources.list and
then using:

$ apt-get source openjdk-8
$ cd openjdk-8
$ debuild -us -uc

Be aware that the build takes quite a while, even on a fast system.  If
it helps, you can download pre-built binaries for amd64 here:

  https://people.debian.org/~tmancill/jessie/openjdk-8/

I built them today using the method described above, and the .changes
file (openjdk-8_8u40~b09-1_amd64.changes) is signed with my Debian GPG key.

Cheers,
tony