kFreeBSD failures

I'm seeing failures like this on kFreeBSD builds:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libphonenumber&arch=kfreebsd-i386&ver=6.3~svn698-2&stamp=1409686346

[INFO] Compiling 20 source files to
/«PKGBUILDDIR»/tools/java/common/target/classes
Compliance level '1.5' is incompatible with source level '1.6'. A
compliance level '1.6' or better is required

The patched tools/java/common/pom.xml says 1.6 is required for source
and target
https://github.com/dpocock/libphonenumber/commit/090daa8f6aedc8634c5106aef132c52c68b84589

The bug tracker has similar bug reports, it appears that some people
just don't support their package on kFreeBSD now.

Is there anything else I can do to get this working?

Or should I just upload a patch that makes all the code compliant with 1.5 ?