Re: debian java BoF - 2014/08/25

On 28/08/14 8:24 AM, "tony mancill" <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:

>Hi Java Team:
>
>The following is my recollection and impressions (before they fade away
>completely) from both the Java Team BoF that took place on at DC14 on
>August 25th and subsequent informal discussions.  It is not meant to be
>a comprehensive set of notes (and thus may biased towards what I recall
>from the session).  I am posting them here to initiate conversation and
>welcome comments and corrections of any omissions of topic, attribution
>or other misrepresentations.  First off, thank you to Matthew Vernon for
>scheduling and conducting the BoF.  We started with this list of topics:
>
>* Maven / dependency hell / build system
>* Java 8 transition
>* Tomcat
>* Getting more contributors
>* Old/crufty packages

Thanks for taking these notes and forwarding them to the list.  It's
fantastic for those who can't travel to the meeting.

As a newcomer to the list the unpackaged leaf library problem is the one
that's preventing me from getting useful stuff done.  Some of my "leaves"
have two levels of other dependencies as well.  )-:

Was there any mention of Maven 3 in the discussion?  It seems that these
days a lot of libraries require Maven 3 and mh_make doesn't work when
attempting to package these libraries.

Regards,

Tim Potter
Cloud Systems Engineer
HP Cloud Services

timothy.potter@hp.com
M +61 419 749 832
Hewlett-Packard Australia Pty Ltd

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient
(or authorised to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.