Re: libphonenumber packaging

On 29/05/14 20:43, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 27/05/14 15:59, tony mancill wrote:
>> On 05/26/2014 10:38 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Laurent,
>>>
>>> I use libphonenumber too (it is in Lumicall, for example)
>>>
>>> Has anybody else responded about packaging it or did you start
>>> on it yourself?
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=741258
>>>
>>> I notice upstream has debian/ artifacts in the repository:
>>> https://code.google.com/p/libphonenumber/source/browse/trunk/debian

Can anybody comment on whether this is consistent with the current
>>> packaging standards for debian-java?
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>
>> The answer about packaging standards and whether the package
>> could enter Debian is "no, but it's a decent start."  I was able
>> to get it built, noting the following.
>
>> * it has a build-dep on libre2-dev, which is currently only in
>> experimental
>
>> * it is currently a native package, but should be easy to
>> convert
>
>> * it's missing build-deps on: libboost-system, junit,
>> ant-optional
>
>> * I had to edit the CMakeLists.txt to add "system" as a Boost
>> component.
>
>> * the resulting -java and -dev debs look okay, but the actual
>> runtime deb is empty (no .so files)
>
>> * the build modifies one of the source files, and creates a few
>> new ones.
>
>> It would be nice to have something that links against it to test
>> with.
>

> Tony, thanks for all this feedback
>
> Fredrik indicated upstream would welcome improvement to the
> packaging files.
>
> I don't mind helping out with this and I can potentially pull out
> some of the code from Lumicall to provide a test case for the Java
> side of this.  I can imagine a project like Jitsi using it to
> handle "tel:" URIs too.
>
> I'm wondering if it should be maintained by simply
> mirroring/cloning the upstream repository or by building a Git
> repository with git-import-orig from the upstream source tarball?

As it changes frequently, my feeling is that we aim to get the
debian/* files into the upstream repository

> Fredrik, do you foresee moving from SVN to Git any time soon?  If
> not, I may set up a git mirror (I have a script that does this and
> keeps them in sync) and then I can make changes on a branch more
> easily.

I've now set up a mirror on github for Git users.  It is updated every
hour using sync2git.

The Github wiki and bug tracker is disabled to avoid confusion.  There
is a status message at the top of the page to inform people it is not
the official repository:

  https://github.com/libphonenumber/libphonenumber

- From there, I've created a fork where I will start updating the
debian/* files:

  https://github.com/dpocock/libphonenumber

and when they are ready, they can be merged back into SVN as a single
patch perhaps.