Re: Tomcat version for jessie

Hi All

> Il Sabato 31 Maggio 2014 17:29, Moritz Mühlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 04:37:41PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 02:16:13PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>>  > Le 28/04/2014 13:22, Moritz Muehlenhoff a écrit :
>>  > > Hi,
>>  > > I noticed that tomcat8 was uploaded into sid. We still have
> tomcat6 and tomcat7 in
>>  > > jessie, can we remove these so that there's only one update
> that needs to be security-
>>  > > supported?
>>  >
>>  > (cc-ing debian-java)
>>  >
>>  > Hi Moritz,
>>  >
>>  > There are several factors to consider:
>>  > * tomcat8 is still in beta but is likely to be declared stable for
> Jessie.
>>
>>  Would it make sense here to open a 'blocking bug' for tomcat8 to
> not
>>  let it enter testing until this stage is arrived?
>>
>>  This is only a suggetion, to avoid that we do not ship a tomcat8 in
>>  testing.
>
> Sounds good to me. Tomcat maintainers?

Sorry, I'm afraid I didn't catch the meaning of "testing".

Blocking an (already done) testing transition, means at least to me that you are avoiding many users to test your package.
If the package can have problems isn't it better to let it in testing as much as possible to have more feedbacks from the community?

Tomcat is a server package, and sysadmin don't run testing on servers, while they might do on their laptop.

<flame mode>
I think almost nobody uses debian stable on a laptop, without at least some testing/unstable/experimental packages apt-pinned from the respective suites
</flame mode>

I'm a young debian man, so I might be wrong, so please excuse me for my mail, but I think removing a package can always be done if we reach the beta stage without any upstream "stable" release.

So would you really like ship the new debian stable without a major tomcat release?

In my opinion we should drop tomcat6-7 as soon as possible and focus on tomcat8.
If somebody spot bugs on it we can focus on fixing on a single package, the same for security issues.
Even java6 is going to disappear, and tomcat8 is almost one year old.
It has also been uploaded on ubuntu utopic (demoted to universe, BTW), I don't see why debian should be behind ubuntu.

BTW I'll follow the community decision as usual, I'm just trying to give my opinion to avoid useless work (like keeping alive old and maybe supported for less time than jessie packages)

Who will take care of providing support for one or two upstream EOL releases?

Please take also two minutes to read this thread on apache mail list, I think tomcat 6 will reach EOL in one year or so.

http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/A-question-about-the-lifecycle-of-Tomcat-td4986405.html

Just my .02$,

Gianfranco
(who spend more time in packaging and backporting than in fixing bugs)