Re: java issue with Shredder Chess

Matthias Bodenbinder <matthias@bodenbinder.de> writes:

> Hello Emmanuel,

hi Matthias,

> you brought the topic a big step further towards resolution. I tried
> several different themes in gnome, but did not succeed. But in KDE the
> approach was successful.
>
> When changing to the window decoration theme "Oxygen" I do not have the
> issue with the GUI anymore. Switching back to the theme I used before
> ("Radial (thin borders) Aurorae") I have the issue again. "Keramik" and
> "UniQ" have the same issue. The rest of the themes I have installed works
> fine with Shredder Chess GUI.
>
> What would be the next step to get this issue fixed for all themes?
> And how do I fix it in GNOME?

I think what Emmanuel meant was changing the Java L&F instead of the
native GNOME/KDE theme. This is described here:
  http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html#commandLine

i.e. add the following to the java command line:
-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel

(this will only work if the program does not set the L&F itself)

To my understanding the metal L&F does not depend on native theme
settings.

Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter