Re: ${java:Depends} and ${misc:Depends}

On 10/21/2013 10:45 AM, Felix Natter wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am wondering whether this is correct for a simple java program without
> dependencies:
>
> Package: jmapviewer
> Architecture: all
> Depends:
>  openjdk-7-jre,
>  ${misc:Depends}
>
> Could you please explain what ${java:Depends} and ${misc:Depends} are
> used for?
>
> Here are some (working) examples:
>
> - freeplane: ${misc:Depends}, openjdk-7-jre
>
> - libjortho-freeplane-java: ${misc:Depends}
>
> - simplyhtml: ${misc:Depends}, openjdk-7-jre

Just a comment about the JRE portion of these dependencies...  It would
be easier in the long term to depend on "default-jre" unless there is a
specific need for openjdk-7-jre.

Using the more general (but not virtual) package will help prevent bug
reports about uninstallable packages or packages that needlessly pull in
2 JREs via dependencies once we have openjdk-8-jre.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Java
> https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/

/me makes a note to put this into one of these links.

Thanks,
tony