Re: RFS: eclipse-eclox (new package)

On 26/06/2013 16:39, Niels Thykier wrote:
On 2013-06-19 08:37, Graham Inggs wrote:
Dear Java packagers

I'm looking for someone to review and sponsor the following package, please:

* Package name : eclipse-eclox
   Version : 0.8.0
   Upstream Author : Guillaume Brocker <gbrocker@gna.org>
* License : GPL-2+
   Description :  simple doxygen frontend plug-in for Eclipse
It aims to provide a slim and sleek integration of the code
documentation process into eclipse by providing a high-level graphical
user interface over doxygen.

I realize eclox is no longer under development, but it is fully functional
and relatively bug-free.

The package source can be accessed via git:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/eclipse-eclox.git

I would be happy to change the maintainer of the package and move the git
repository to pkg-java if it meets your standards.

Regards
Graham

Hi,

Thanks for the request.  Unfortunately, I suspect we have an issue with
the license.

It is my understanding that the GPL (license of eclipse-eclox) is not
compatiable with the EPL (license of eclipse).  Unless there are a
special exception allowing us to link the two together, I don't think we
are permitted to distribute eclipse-eclox.

~Niels

Hi Niels

Thanks for your response.

I will try to find out more about this.

To start with though, here are excerpts from section 27 and 32 of the EPL FAQ [1]:

* If you have made a copy of existing Eclipse code and made a few minor revisions to it, that is a derivative work. If you've written your own Eclipse plug-in with 100% your own code to implement functionality not currently in Eclipse, then it is not a derivative work.

* The EPL and the GPL are not compatible in any combination where the result would be considered either: (a) a "derivative work" (which Eclipse interprets consistent with the definition of that term in the U.S. Copyright Act ) or (b) a work "based on" the GPL code, as that phrase is used in the GPLv2, GPLv3 or the GPL FAQ as applicable.

So I don't think Eclox would be considered (a) a derivative work, but I am not sure what they mean by (b).
I believe Fedora have packaged Eclox, I wonder if they considered this?

Regards
Graham

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php