Re: libjgoodies-forms-java, was: Re: upstream + two distro packages => dependency problems

On Thu, 06. Jun 21:20 Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
> > The larger issue/question about maintaining multiple versions of Java
> > libraries remains.  My instinct is that for jgoodies-forms, it is best
> > to move forward (that is port rdeps) when possible instead of supporting
> > the numerous versions out there.  Obviously this strategy won't work for
> > all libraries, but I think it's preferable when feasible.  The
> > alternative is serious archive bloat and cruft.
>
> I also don't think it's worth maintaining numerous versions, also
> because it can easily be fixed. I don't think this is the case for all
> packages (but I don't have much experience). However, it's important to post
> here and/or mail the maintainers. In such a post, we could negotiate
> whether such an additional package is really necessary.
>
> Maybe this can be automated, like Emmanuel suggests in Thread "RFS:
> guava-libraries/14.0.1-1". I think as a first step, a simple mail
> announcing the upgrade and including the changelog could be mailed to
> all rdep maintainers (and d-java?) ?

I agree with Tony here. Maintaining multiple versions of one Java
library seems like overkill to me in this case. As long as the list of
reverse dependencies is relatively short, i think "keep it simple" is
the way to go like an e-mail to the list or bug report asking to test a
new version in experimental, hence we can all work on possible issues
and simplify the life of a library maintainer a little.

Regards,

Markus