Re: upstream + two distro packages => dependency problems

Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de> writes:

> Hi Felix,
>
> On 02.06.2013 16:46, Felix Natter wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Freeplane depends on a number of libraries [1], and I guess the usual
>> process for updating the package in case of an incompatible library
>> upgrade, is to fix it upstream and include a patch until the package
>> is updated to this upstream version.
>>
>> However, problems arise if there are packages for more than distro for
>> upstream. e.g. Freeplane has packages for Debian and Mageia Linux and
>> libjgoodies-forms-java has version 1.6 in Debian and version 1.4 in
>> Mageia.
>> Since it's difficult for my colleague to update the jgoodies-forms
>> package in Mageia, I am currently maintaining my own patch for 1.6
>> indefinitely...

hello Markus,

> I maintain mediathekview which was also affected by the latest upgrade
> to version 1.6 because of the class renaming from FormFactory to
> FormSpecs. [1]

cool package, need to check that out :-)

> I am in the happy position that my patch got accepted rather quickly by
> upstream. Strange as it may seem i think you also need to convince your
> upstream to accept your patch in the long run. I can guess the issues
> your colleague from Mageia is facing at the moment but sooner or later
> he and freeplane have to upgrade libjgoodies-forms-java to a newer
> version. The latest release is even version 1.7.

lucky you ;-)

> In the current situation i would continue to maintain your patch and
> don't forget to add a versioned dependency on libjgoodies-forms-java
> 1.6. ( i had never forgotten that ;-) )

thanks, I've got that :-)

I also have a hint for you: jgoodies-forms 1.7.x will again remove
deprecations:

CHANGES IN 1.7.0  -----------------------------------------------------

    o Removed deprecated classes, methods, and constants.

=> so it's a good idea to fix all jgoodies deprecations
(i.e. setBorder()->border(), Borders.DLU_BORDER->Borders.DLU),
so that the transition to 1.7.x will be smooth :-)

> However i agree with you that it would have been better if someone had
> checked if the new release causes any issues with its reverse
> dependencies. There are only eight of them right now.
>

> Reverse Depends:
>   icegrid-gui
>   mediathekview
>   libmac-widgets-java
>   libjgoodies-forms-java-doc
>   jabref
>   freeplane
>   freemind
>   biomaj
>
> Indeed the changelog of libjgoodies-forms-java states the changes but
> even forgets to mention that 1.6 also depends on libjgoodies-common-java
> 1.4 now. Given these facts i suggest to double-check new releases of
> libjgoodies-forms-java and to inform all reverse dependencies
> beforehand. This should mitigate our problems but in the end you need to
> convince upstream to upgrade to a new release of libjgoodies-forms-java
> though.

Let's further discuss this in the "libjgoodies-forms-java, was: ..."
thread, where Tony, the libjgoodies-forms-java maintainer has replied.

Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter