Maven 2 vs Maven 3 plugins

Hi all,

There is an increasing number of Maven plugins that require Maven 3 and
can't be upgraded without breaking Maven 2. For example
maven-install-plugin 2.3 works with Maven 2 and Maven 3, but the version
2.4 is for Maven 3 only.

What's the proper way to handle this situation? Should we split these
plugins to satisfy each version of Maven?

That would give:
* maven-install-plugin2.3: for Maven 2, doesn't install its jar in
/usr/share/java to avoid conflicts (I'm not sure it's needed anyway)
* maven-install-plugin: for Maven 3

What do you think?

Emmanuel Bourg