Feedback on maven-debian-helper

Hi all,

I played a bit with maven-debian-helper from the Git repository to build
the package for Commons JEXL 2. Here are my first observations (in no
specific order):

- apt-file is required to resolve the dependencies, but
maven-debian-helper doesn't depend on it explicitly. The dependency
should probably be added.

- Several questions are asked before the first checks are performed,
that's often frustrating because when something goes wrong the error
comes quite late, and we have to restart the entire process. For example
once the name of the package has been typed the existence of the
directory should be checked immediately. Currently it's checked after we
are done answering all the questions. Another example, the validity of
the SVN URL is checked after the first questions are asked. The sooner
the error is detected the better.

- Bash completion for mh_make would be nice

- The target/source level is not properly detected from the POM. Commons
JEXL specifies the maven.compile.source and maven.compile.target
properties but they are not copied to debian/maven.properties.

- mh_make suggested a package name derived from the SVN URL (it took the
tag name). Using the artifactId to suggest a name would be better.

- copy-repo.sh seems to be slow. What does it do?

- I couldn't understand this question:

    Version of org.apache.commons:commons-jexl is 2.1.1
    Choose how it will be transformed:
    [0] - Replace all versions starting by 2. with 2.x
    1 - Change the version to the symbolic 'debian' version
    2 - Keep the version
    3 - Custom rule

  I would suggest elaborating a bit on the implications of each option.
Is the default option the best choice?

- Several plugins could be ignored automatically without asking the
user. For example: PMD, Checkstyle, FindBugs, Cobertura, Clirr

- The debian/copyright file generated states "On Debian GNU/Linux
system...". Considering that the Java packages could also run on
kFreeBSD it would be fair to drop the "GNU/Linux" part.

Emmanuel Bourg